Kitchen Jargon Explained

Posted on


Do you know your plinth from your pilaster?

Ever wondered what on earth your kitchen designer is talking about? This guide explains all those kitchen terminologies in layman's terms.

Base unit or Highline - A base unit fitted with a door only

Drawline - A base cabinet fitted with both a door and a drawer fascia. The drawer is available as a working drawer or as a dummy fascia

Drawer pack unit - A base unit made of a row of drawers

End panel - An optional panel that usually matches the finish of the unit doors and is attached at the end of a run of cabinets

Breakfront - A design feature which allows for cabinets to protrude forward from the main run of cabinets

Plinth - A long panel that is fitted to the bottom of the base cabinets. It sits a little way back from the unit doors and is sometimes referred to as a ‘kick board’

Pelmet - A decorative profile designed to fit to the underside of wall cabinets

Cornice or Light pelmet - A decorative profile designed to fit on the top of wall and tall cabinets

Mantel - a large over cooker accessory feature that creates the look of an open chimney breast

Corbel - A decorative shelf support matched to the finish of the door

Radius Feature End - A decorative curved component fitted to the side of a cabinet to create a design feature

Pilaster - A decorative post usually used in a traditional style kitchen

Island - A range of freestanding base units usually placed in the centre of a large kitchen

Peninsula - An arrangement of cabinets usually attached at one end to either a wall or the main cabinet run

Add a comment:

Leave a comment:
  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Add a comment