RSS Feed

  1. I love handles. There. Said it.

    It's true, I really do. Well, they're important, aren't they? Not only do they have a significant function in life but some are truly beautiful and can often be a crucial accessory for your furniture, doors or kitchen cupboards. Unfortunately, some are not beautiful (they can, indeed, be downright ugly) and it can be costly to change them if there are lots of them, i.e. on kitchen cupboards. But fear not. The rustic look is 'in' and I spotted this lovely blog by House Revivals to transform the grotesque to the positively agreeable.

    Click the photo for the tutorial.


  2. This is actually simpler than you might think.

    First, you need to know the widths of your units, for example, if you have 2x 600 base units, 1x 600 appliance unit, 1x 1000 sink unit & 2x 500 drawer packs, this works out as follows:

    600 + 600 + 600 + 1000 + 500 + 500 = 3800mm

    Next you need to work out if you have any 'returns' - a return is at the end of your run of units which goes from the front of the cabinet to the back wall. However, if you select to have full height end panels on your last cabinet, there is no need to continue the plinth or pelmet around the corner. This is because the plinth or pelmet butts up to the end panel. In most cases you will have returns for cornice.

    If you do have returns we recommend a width of 600mm is used for each of these.

    Therefore, to calculate the total for each plinth, pelmet or cornice use the example sum as follows:

    Unit width + any returns (600mm for each) = total length

    e.g. 3800mm + 600mm = 4400mm

    To calculate the number of lengths you require you will need to see which lengths are available in your preferred kitchen range. For example, our plinths come in 2600mm, 2750mm or 3000mm lengths

    So taking our example above with a range using 3000mm plinths the calculation is:

    Total length (4400mm) divided by Plinth Length (3000mm) = 1.46

    Therefore, the requirement in this example is 2 lengths. Simple!

  3. When designing a kitchen we like to start with the corner units.

    These come in various shapes - standard, L shape, diagonal and curved.


    Standard Corner


    lshape corner1

     "L" shape



    Diagonal Corner



    Curved Corner

    You will see that there is a gap around the standard corner unit. We call this a service void. Our base units come with a built-in service void at the rear of all units. These can't be seen once the worktop is fitted but they are useful for concealing pipe work or cables. However, the corner units don't have the built-in void, hence the gap left at the rear of the units. The void at the side of unit is essential so that the units line up at right angles. The gap is then concealed with a corner post or filler piece.

    corner post

    Corner Post